Wednesday 3 February 2010

Apprentice Profile: Samuel Lain

Here's the next profile of apprentices from West Kent College to help celebrate Apprenticeships Week 2010.

Name: Samuel Lain

Position/title at College: 14-16 Administrative Apprentice

What does your position involve? I mainly assist at North Farm - the Construction, Motor Vehicle and Engineering campus - with Jo Sales from the Vocational Academy. However, I also work with Linda Gapp from Alternative Curriculum and Sara Cleaver with the Skills for Life department.

Why did you choose an apprenticeship and what benefits will it give you in the future? The apprenticeship scheme gives me the opportunity to gain a qualification whilst working. It provides me with the experience of real-life work and this will increase my employability in the future, because I have both gained the qualifications as well as the working experience – which is what employers are looking for.

Why did you choose West Kent College for your apprenticeship? I have been with West Kent College since June 2008, first as a work experience student on two day release programme from Angley School, then in September 2009 I became an Apprentice. I choose to take this pathway for the reasons mentioned in the previous question and that West Kent College is a friendly environment and I knew most of the staff whilst being on work experience.

What have you learnt since starting your apprenticeship at West Kent College? I have learnt many skills whilst working at West Kent College and everyday I am learning more, however if I was to identify one it would be organisational skills.

What do you plan to do after your apprenticeship finishes? I plan to continue on the apprenticeships pathway, I would like to expand my skills and knowledge and I would love to stay and do this at West Kent College. I feel the apprenticeship scheme is excellent and it is a great basis to start from.

My dream job would be? This is a difficult question to answer – I would eventually like to start my own Event Management Company, however this is a long term goal. Looking no further than the next ten years I think education is the place for me. Throughout the time of working I have been attracted to education; as a work experience student I have worked in colleges, secondary schools and even primary schools. But obviously my real dream is to be a millionaire!

Thanks Sam! To read more about Apprenticeships at West Kent College, look here. Sam is also the founder of Kent’s GOT Talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say!